Wednesday 31 August 2011

Atrix Gingerbread review

Hey all!

I've had the Gingerbread running for a day now and I'm ready to make a quick +&- list for the new 2.3.4 Android upgrade.




Nice features:

+I am digging the "all Apps" button, bottom right of the screen, it's handy!
+The improved response time between screen switching is nice.
+New icons are a welcome change.
+New keyboard has vastly improved response and (so-far) more accurate letter choice.

Slight (and not-so-slight) irritants:

-The round settings button from the bottom middle of the home screen is gone, and getting in there is now a two-step process, as I tend to run my handset whithout data or background enabled to conserve both battery life and plan data, this is kind of a pain.
-When entering text my auto punctuate function is not working. I have disabled and rebooted, then re-enabled and rebooted - without change. I hope to find a way to fix this, as instead of punctuating, it's stuffing random "Droid thinks this is the next work you might type" words where I wanted a period. Geez.
-Biggest irritant do far? Android Marketplace! I have always been very conservatve with my data use, so I am usually only surfing the Marketplace for new apps when connected over wifi. Previously I did all my surfing on the browser, as the Marketplace app required background data enabled. The Froyo version prompted me whenever I used the browser if I wanted to use the app to open the content requested,which gave me the option to continue to use the browser, ensuring all my downloaded stuff was queued ONLY via wifi. Now, not so much. I have already hit up the peeps over at the awesome XDA Dev Forums, but since 2.3.4 is still shiny and new, I'm not holding my breath for immeadiate answers.

All things considered, I'm enjoying the new interface. I have noticed it's taking longer to charge, but that's the first time since I upgraded it. In all fairness that battery is freaking massive to start with, so I guess It takes the time it takes.

More on the newness in about a week after I've gotten to spend some quality time with Gingerbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment