Thursday 4 August 2011

A few thoughts about computing...

My constant reading has always included tech literature, and if they had not been "misplaced" while I was away studenting, I would till have a damn-near complete collection of PC Mag back issues kicking around. But no crying over spilled milk there.

Recently I have been discussing with other IT industry professionals where the business and personal computing worlds are finally going to be interchangeable. Some argue they already have. I have been a huge fan of self-styled "Cranky Geek" John C. Dvorak for many years now, and I am inclined to agree with his ongoing opinions regarding tablet form factors finally providing the last link between personal and professional computing. With the incredible shrinking industry size and power requirements, hardware components have physically come a LONG way from where we started at. Pair that with SaaS and cloud operations, and today's advancing Cellular data networks and continuously increasing coverage maps, that future is already happening around us today.

With the advent of Social Media, our current generation of kids will be growing up in a completely connected society. Enabled to reach out from anywhere, to anybody, instantly. I think Nikolai Tesla would be both pleased about the advancement, and disappointed the rest of us took so long to drag telecommunications this far! It's going to be an interesting tipping point, and statistically, in a few short decades, we will be a world society linked together by universal connectivity.

Summary: I don't think we have arrived at the intersection of personal and professional computing, but I can see it on the horizon. I'm excited, and you should be too! Wearable computing? Heck yes! Better? Integrated computer! I'll keep the organic CPU for now, but reliable, tested human upgrades in my lifetime?......Count Me In! Interesting times!

No comments:

Post a Comment